[Marxism] Libya is now set to be a scene of multiple battles

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 8 11:10:23 MDT 2011

On 9/8/2011 12:13 PM, Paul Flewers wrote:

> I share Lou's concerns about and exasperation with the pro-Gaddafi
> people on the left, but I am not in the least inclined to be anything
> but sceptical about the 'democratic' credentials of someone who has
> made a lifetime career as a thoroughly reactionary Islamist activist.
> I remember back in 1979 some people on the left arguing that the left
> in Iran should give credence to the anti-imperialist pretensions of
> Khomeini. Look what happened there.

Two things should be kept in mind. Qaddafi cracked down
relentlessly on political Islam for decades, while the Shah of
Iran actually used it as a cudgel against the left (the leading
cleric actually worked to overthrow Mossadegh.)

Also, as has been reported since the early days of the Tunisian
revolution, political Islam has not been a major factor in these
revolts. Despite attempts by MRZine to smear the Syrian uprising
as inspired by the Muslim Brotherhood, most of the activists have
more in common with the movements elsewhere.

Time will tell whether Libya will face an Islamist revolt like
next-door Algeria, but--unlike Fred--I am not betting on anything.
I think Marxists are much better off analyzing the past and the
present then predicting the future.