[Marxism] On Turkey versus Israel

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:01:47 MDT 2011

Haaretz, the liberal Israeli daily, is in a considerable spin about the
Israel- turkey face off.  Gideon Levy is typically wringing his hands at the
"pyromania" of Israeli leaders. Other correspondents think turkey needs to
back down to gain regional influence.  they are exactly wrong IMHO.

Debka.com - predicts a war  with Turkey and blames Israeli military
passivity, would you believe.  For the debka site this is all about the
struggle for resources in the Mediterranean.  they allege that Turkey is
using the Palestinian question to emerge as the regional super power.  I
suspect that they are correct about Erdogan's motivation.

However there is more to all this than simply Turkish desire to corner the
gas resources. For one thing Israel has been cultivating contacts in Kurdish
Iraq and I doubt if that has gone unnoticed in Turkey.

Certainly the situation does appear to be hotting up.  I am very reluctant
to believe anything will happen, but it is starting to look like we might
have an incident. I wonder if Turkish comrades could shed any light on this
matter.

comradely

Gary