[Marxism] Trumka Flip-Flops like Frog Legs in a Frying Pan

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 10:23:22 MDT 2011

Dear Greg,

Did you watch President Obama’s speech last night? He showed working
people he is willing to go to the mat to create new jobs on a
substantial scale. His speech should energize the nation to come
together and get serious about jobs.

We call on Congress to act and look forward to working with the
president and Congress on all elements of this proposal. As the
president explained, we no longer can delay putting Americans back to
work rebuilding our nation’s schools, roads, bridges, transit, ports,
rail, communications and energy systems. And we need to help state and
local governments avoid layoffs that are dragging down the
economy—rejecting the myth that the only way to end a crisis Wall
Street started is to punish firefighters, teachers and others who
perform critical public services.

Tell Congress: It’s time to get moving on jobs. Start with President
Obama’s proposals and then keep going.

The plan announced by President Obama to create jobs is only the
opening bid in a national conversation we’ve needed to have for a long
time. In the coming weeks and months, we expect to see more proposals
from the president and Congress to put America back to work.

President Obama understands this economic crisis was not created
overnight, and it will not be solved overnight. The middle class has
been under attack for decades. He understands we need to rebuild our
economy for the 21st century and rebuild our middle class.

But doing this will require a revolution in the way Washington takes
on these questions. Republicans are going to have to stop blocking
bills that sustain or create millions of jobs and start offering and
accepting credible solutions. As the president explained last night,
we can delay no longer.

Tell Congress America wants to work. Add your name, then spread the
word to your friends and family.

America isn’t broke—we’re the richest country in the world. We will
only go broke if our leaders fail year after year to create jobs and
turn our economy around. We can’t let that happen.

Politicians need to recognize that America’s best days are still
before us. We cannot accept the disappearance of the American middle
class or several more years of crisis-level joblessness. We can and
must solve the jobs crisis—and we must start now. Please take action
to help us make this happen.

In Solidarity,

Richard L. Trumka
President, AFL-CIO

P.S. Some politicians claim cuts to our social safety net,
deregulation and lower taxes for the rich will fix our problems. But
they’re flat wrong. If we continue down this road, it only will
destroy more jobs and send us into a vicious downward spiral. Our
country is too good and too rich to weaken our commitment to safety
net protections such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and
unemployment insurance.

We don’t have time to waste on the same old failed policies that drove
our economy off a cliff in the first place. Tell Congress: Working
families will judge our elected leaders by whether they act with
integrity and energy to create good jobs now.