[Marxism] Left-Wing Historian Osvaldo Bayer Under Attack in Argentina

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 07:03:35 MDT 2011

I just received this message from David Gorman, a pal of mine now
living in Argentina, which might be of interest to list members in
Latin America and to those who can read Spanish.

Paul F

++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought that, as an historian, you might be interested in the following.

< https://www.facebook.com/pages/APOYAMOS-A-OSVALDO-BAYER-CONTRA-EL-ATAQUE-DE-LOS-MARTINEZ-DE-HOZ/197593596973183

Osvaldo Bayer is a left-wing Argentinean historian who is currently
under attack from the Martínez de Hoz family, one of the most powerful
families in Argentina. José Alfredo Martínez de Hoz has accused Bayer
of damaging his 'family's honour' and has demanded his imprisonment.
Bayer's crime? Pointing out that the great great grandfather of the
current José Martínez de Hoz, José Martínez de Hoz, as founder of the
Sociedad Rural, called for military intervention against the
indigenous peoples of Argentina, with the aim of exterminating them to
make way for cattle.

Although it is unlikely that José Martínez de Hoz will win his case,
Bayer needs as much support as possible. (The current José Martínez de
Hoz is grandson of José 'Joe' Martínez de Hoz, the economist behind
the dictatorship of Videl and the idiocies of Carlos Menem.)

I'd be grateful if you could distribute this information as much as possible.