[Marxism] On Change in India

Ganesh Trichur gtrichur11 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:37:52 MDT 2011

Thanks for sharing this. I seem to empathize more with some of the comments that followed the narrative -- especially the harshest one -- than with the narrative of the traveler in a car going through rural India. Agreed that India is poor and its poverty is wretched and offends anyone with any deep sense of hatred for injustice. Agreed also that the post-1991 neoliberal reforms have produced sharp and disgusting polarizations in wealth. Agreed also on the really uneven effects of transportation and infrastructure -- only the nouvea rich have easy access to autos and they now successfully deprive pedestrians and cyclists from use of the roads -- especially in urban Delhi and Bangalore. Agreed on the horrific, soulless forms of exploitation of the poor in India's improvised factories. So why did I still keep thinking that for the author (S.Deb) the whole encounter with some of migrant poor was more in the nature of raw material to sell selective images of India to the US? An "American's view of India" seems to approximate the effects produced on me by this article. Where is any reference to resistance in Deb's narrative? Don't the poor have any agency? An article that does not give them any agency at all does not do them any service either -- apart from corraborating those popular images of India that the West has always found easy to digest.