[Marxism] John Pilger article on Libya!,

Suresh borhyaenid at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 13:45:26 MDT 2011

John Pilger shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. Reports keep coming in of anti-black pogroms in Libya. I don't believe what has happened in the country corresponds to a revolution, but let's imagine that it was for a moment. How many times have reports of atrocities by revolutionaries been dismissed until the evidence becomes overwhelming? Actually, we see this in military interventions as well. Supporters of the Iraq war refused to accept stories of atrocities and of evidence of ethnic cleansing until it became undeniable. I hope ideological blinkers don't prevent people of good will on the left from being able to change their minds:

Empty village raises concerns about fate of black Libyans

TAWERGHA, Libya — This town was once home to thousands of mostly black non-Arab residents. Now, the only manmade sound is a generator that powers a small militia checkpoint, where rebels say the town is a "closed military area."

What happened to the residents of Tawergha appears to be another sign that despite the rebel leadership's pledges that they'll exact no revenge on supporters of deposed dictator Moammar Gadhafi, Libya's new rulers often are dealing harshly with the country's black residents.

According to Tawergha residents, rebel soldiers from Misrata forced them from their homes on Aug. 15 when they took control of the town. The residents were then apparently driven out of a pair of refugee camps in Tripoli over this past weekend.

"The Misrata people are still looking for black people," said Hassan, a Tawergha resident who's now sheltering in a third camp in Janzour, six miles east of Tripoli. "One of the men who came to this camp told me my brother was killed yesterday by the revolutionaries."

On Tuesday, Amnesty International issued a report on human rights issues in Libya that included claims that the rebels had abused prisoners, conducted revenge killings and removed pro-Gadhafi fighters from hospitals.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/09/13/123999/empty-village-raises-concerns.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1XxRpTach