[Marxism] Uri Avnery: Israel should vote for Palestinian statehood, but won 't (of course)

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sat Sep 17 06:38:09 MDT 2011

Fred Feldman (ffeldman at verizon.net) wrote on 2011-09-16 at 18:29:18 in
about [Marxism] Uri Avnery: Israel should vote for Palestinian statehood, but
won 't (of course):

> We had fought hard and had won. The Palestinians had lost everything. The
> part of Palestine that had been allotted by the UN to their state had been
> gobbled up by Israel, Jordan and Egypt, leaving nothing for them. Half the
> Palestinian people had been driven from their homes and become refugees.
>
> That was the time, we thought, for the victor to stun the world with an act
> of magnanimity and wisdom, offering to help the Palestinians to set up their
> state in return for peace. Thus we could forge a friendship that would last
> for generations.

   This sounds like an absurd idea: the robber declares that he has taken
away everything from his victim, "leaving nothing for [his victim]", and then
declares to make peace and friendship to consolidate that robbery.

   How foolish one has to be to entertain such absurdity?

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany