[Marxism] Prove anti-semitism and the hot chocs are on me

Nick Fredman nick.fredman at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 18 23:03:23 MDT 2011

List members may be interested in some comments I've made on the Green Left site in response to the article http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/48834, which quoted extensively from Greens NSW upper house member John Kaye's strong defense of the BDS campaign (which other Greens have denounced):

Very good points by John Kaye.

In regard to what really is anti-semitism: In May 2007 the Australia/Israel Review, a strongly Zionist organ, published an interview with Israeli academic Dina Porat in which she argued, I think quite correctly, that criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic "when it attributes Jewish qualities to Israeli military and political behaviour". Unfortunately Zionists too often fling about accusations of anti-semitism on a far wider and completely undeserved basis.

In any case I'll make an offer to the perhaps getting-rather-desperate Zionists who are jumping up and down about anti-semitism and even more ludicrously Nazism in relation to the BDS campaign: show me a single example of actual anti-semitism, that is negative references to any essential "Jewish nature" of the policies of the Israeli state, or any use whatsoever of derogatory stereotypes of Jews, by BDS organisers and I'll happily stand you a choccy treat of choice at Max Brenner Melbourne Central.

I'm pretty confident of maintaining my boycott.