[Marxism] To Murray Dobbin on Qaddafi/Africom

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 19 08:22:52 MDT 2011

Dobbin, in your ill-informed article on Libya that appears on the
weekend edition of Counterpunch, you make the same idiotic point about
Qaddafi's resistance to AFRICOM that has been made repeatedly there. I
have no idea why the pro-Qaddafi left insists on embarrassing itself by
circulating this falsehood but here is the historical record from the
imperialists themselves.

On September 28, 2009, the AFRICOM Public Affairs Office issued a press
release titled “Libyan Delegation Makes Historic Visit to Africa
Command”. Here are a few excerpts from this most revealing item.

STUTTGART, Germany,

Sep 28, 2009 — A delegation of three senior Libyan military officers
visited U.S. Africa Command headquarters as part of an orientation
program to explain the command’s mission, Sept. 21-24, 2009, as the two
countries continue to build their military relationship.

The officers held meetings with senior staff members to discuss the
command’s programs and activities, met General William E. ward and his
two deputies, and traveled to Ramstein Air Base to meet Major General
Ron Ladnier, the U.S. Air Force Africa commander, and his staff.

The command hosts African military delegations frequently, but
“certainly with regard to Libya, it is quite historic,” said Kenneth
Fidler, Africa Command Public Affairs Office, which hosted the Libyan team.

Two of the officers in the delegation write for the official magazine of
the Libyan armed forces, called Al-Musallh. Colonel Mohamed Algale is
the chief editor, and Colonel Abdelgane Mohamed is the space and
aviation editor. The third member of the party, Colonel Mustafa Washahi,
represented the Libyan Ministry of Defense.

The officers also toured AFN-Europe studios in Mannheim, Germany, and
met with editors of the European Stars and Stripes in Kaiserslautern,
Germany.

“They (Africa Command officials) clarified everything,” Abdelgane said
in an interview with AFN-Europe. “And they are making our mission easier
… to rise up the level of understanding between the militaries … and to
move for further cooperation to the benefit of both countries.”

In January 2009, Libya and the United States signed a defense
cooperation memorandum of understanding, which provides the framework
for a military-to-military relationship and cooperation on programs of
mutual interest.

After the signing of the MOU, a forum called the Council of Colonels met
for the fourth time since 2007. These meetings set the tone for
Libya-U.S. military relations and is the primary venue for discussing
potential security cooperation opportunities, such as ship visits and
information exchange programs.

---

If that is not enough to penetrate the brick wall of ideology that
allowed you to write such tripe, here are some other items:

The Qaddafi regime took IMET funding from the US in 2008,2009 and 2010
and has other special training programs.

Also the US General in charge of AFRICOM met with the so called “Great
Leader” twice.

http://www.africom.mil/getArticle.asp?art=3080

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Boutwell Arrives in Tubruq, Libya
Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe-U..S. Naval Forces Africa

To read more about the Libyan delegation’s visit to U.S. Africa Command,
visit http://www.africom.mil/getArticle.asp?art=3486&lang=0.

U.S. Africa Command waited to publish the transcript until the article
appeared in Al Musellh magazine.

The Arabic version of the transcript is posted at:
http://www.africom.mil/file.asp?pdfID=20091215182659.

The complete English transcript of the interview is available below:

COL. MOHAMED: First thing I would like to ask you about: During your
last visit to Libya, you have met with our leader al-Qaddafi. We would
like to ask about, what’s your impression of the leader Muammar
al-Qaddafi? How was your meeting with him? And what are the results of
that visit?

GEN. WILLIAM E. WARD: Okay, well, during my last visit to Tripoli I had
a very good meeting with the Leader. He and I were able to talk about my
command; we were able to give him some thoughts on the United States
Africa Command and what the command is about. And I think because of
that, we gave him additional information that enabled him to have a
better understanding of the command.

It was explained to him that we were there not to threaten the
sovereignty of any nation; that we were there to work in close
cooperation but only among those things that the nations wanted us to
do. And to all of those purposes, it was about trying to enhance the
stability and the security of the nations that we work with — North
Africa, as well as the entire continent of Africa.

I think the Leader was happy to hear that; I think he had a greater
understanding following our conversation and he appreciated the
information that I gave him about the command. And I think we also
discussed issues that concern security matters in Africa and how we look
forward to working together in ways that help us achieve those common
objectives for peace and stability. And I think the leader was
appreciate of that as well, and I told him that I was committing myself
to working as closely as we could where our foreign policy permitted
those relationships; working with the nations, working with the regions,
working with the African Union. And the leader was appreciative of that,
as well.

So we had a very good meeting. It was a cordial meeting, it was a
friendly meeting and it was one that I certainly appreciated very well
to have the opportunity to spend time with him to talk about those
things that were important to both of us in the cause of peace.

COL. MOHAMED: Okay, because we see a deep understanding. Do you expect
another visit to be done in the near future or something like that?

GEN. WARD: Well, I don’t know. In the last six months I’ve already had
two visits to Libya, and you are here, and so I think that as we
continue to move forward we will have the opportunity for more visits to
be sure.

Source: AFRICOM Public Affairs
IMET Program 2008 US Africa Command- Libya in article
http://www.africom.mil/fetchBinary.asp?pdfID=20091019124205

(Comment by Cort Greene on my blog)