[Marxism] Paul Jay: NATO and the Libyan people are not one force

Matt Siegfried almata at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:06:25 MDT 2011

NATO and the Libyan people are not one forceI
  don't agree with the critique of TRNN Libya stories that has appeared
 in the comments section of a few of our stories.  We have covered many
 aspects of the war, almost all critical of the NATO intervention, which
  is clearly illegal and using humanitarian language to cover up
imperialist objectives. But the NATO agenda does not mean that the
people of Libya have no right to overthrow a dictatorship.The
criticism has focused on reports from the field, that show Libyans
applauding NATO strikes in support of the rebellion. I think when
journalists in the field report on what they see, it's ridiculous for
people to demand they adjust it or present it in a way that serves some
 propaganda position. If the reporters see that people in Bengazi
support  the NATO intervention, they should say so. It's perfectly
understandable why such people would appreciate NATO support, what ever
 the real motives. It's one thing to oppose the NATO/US
intervention, which I think people here should do, and another to
discredit and attack the thousands of ordinary Libyan people who want an
  end to the dictatorship.   What  the leadership of the
rebellion turns out to be made of, is yet to be  seen. There are clearly
 some very shady characters, CIA connected types,  opportunists from the
 former regime, and so on. There may also be some  legitimate
representatives of the people. At any rate, it's not up to  us. It's up
to the Libyans. And NATO should stay out of it. I  think we
should oppose imperialist adventures dressed up as humanitarian  causes,
 and we should oppose dictatorships. Our concern first and  foremost,
should be for international law. The UN resolution was a blank  check to
 organize regime change in the interests of Anglo,American and  French
imperialism. The Russians, Chinese and other governments on the  UN
Security Council didn't really much care what happened, as long as  they
 were not shut out of the oil, post war. We should care. This is a
terrible precedent. We should demand an immediate end to all NATO
involvement in Libya. As a news organization, we will report
what we see. There is a popular aspect to this rebellion, and if that's
 what our journalists observe, we will say so. We have also reported on
 allegations of war crimes against the rebels and the pro-Gaddafi
troops.  There is evidence of targeting of black migrant workers by some
  rebels. There  is evidence of NATO operatives on the ground, directing
 and training  rebels. There appears to be significant numbers of
Libyans who still  support Gaddafi. Real life is complicated.   Clearly the rebellion is made up of many diverse political, tribal and class elements. While
  the forces of reaction are very strong, the people are armed and have
 fought for their rights. The conventional army is no more, which is
what  is so troubling for NATO leaders who are making noises about
putting  troops on the ground to "create a transition to law and order".
 They are  afraid of what kind of state emerges from an armed people
demanding  democracy. We  will see if the popular will asserts itself,
or if forces from within  the neo-liberal Libyan elite sells out the
Libyan people - again.by Paul Jay Senior Editor The Real News Network

---- Matt