[Marxism] Pirate Party get 9% in Berlin election

Tristan Sloughter kungfooguru at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:32:37 MDT 2011

>   But their solutions remain in petty bourgeois realms, based on the model
> of
> "open source" computer programming, where the program itself is free to
> copy and install, and where hordes of free lance consultants can make a
> living by supporting the non-computer savvy public to install and use those
> free programs.

Mostly true. But free software (free as in freedom, libre, is a better term
for it than 'open source' which was made to make companies more comfortable)
is also collectively created and maintained. Which is interesting since so
many in the software world and even the free software world
are libertarians.

Myself, all my free software work is unrelated to any goal of monetary gain
-- though it obviously does help anyway due to networking and your work
being out there -- and my work programming is internal to the company, so
neither free software or proprietary.

I wouldn't disagree that it is mostly a petty bourgeois group and it, nor
the Pirate Party, provide the solutions to overcome the capitalist mess that
exists. I don't know where I'm going with this now... But I find the
connection between the left and young right libertarians on these issues
intriguing. I don't think its really a bridge to convince them of how
capitalism really works... But maybe for some?

Tristan