[Marxism] Ralph Nader and Cornel West urge primary challenge to Obama

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 15:59:03 MDT 2011

Well, I find Cornell West's break from Obama to be an impressive and
wondrously rare act on the part of any public figure in this society.  My
criticisms about his failure to call for organs of dual power is probably
not going to be the main thing I'd say in response to his call.

I'm having an ongoing debate with someone elsewhere who insists that it's a
waste to mess with mass, peaceful, legal demonstrations because they're
surely insufficient.  So, he reasons, we should cut to the chase.  And what
this means, of course, never amounts to more than trying to teach the masses
by telling them that they're wasting their time by indulging their
illusions.

People in large numbers don't learn well by being lectured to but by trying
things out.   If you have masses of people who believe that we have a
representative system of government or that the Democratic party is somehow
a party of progress, we can tell them the truth--which we have been doing
for nearly 140 years in the US--but what's going to teach them is to test
those assumptions.

In the end, it is always better for the people to test their incorrect
assumptions and find them to be incorrect than to have them continuing to
embrace untested assumptions.  There is no other way this has ever
happened..

ML