[Marxism] Letter to the ISO on Libya

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Sep 20 17:54:51 MDT 2011

On 9/20/11 6:30 PM, Eli Stephens wrote:

> The simple fact, obvious to anyone following the fighting (up to and
> including today), is that not a single city, with the exception of Benghazi,
> would likely have been liberated were it not for the saturation NATO bombing
> which utterly destroyed the defensive capabilities of the government forces.

Really? The rebels had advanced all the way to Tripoli in February long
before NATO got involved. When Qaddafi launched a counter-offensive with
jets, helicopters, tanks, heavy artillery and rockets, guess what
happened? The lightly-armed, mostly nonprofessional, rebels with their
pickup trucks were driven back to Benghazi. Now I understand that the
pro-Qaddafi left is miserable that Qaddafi was not able to finish off
the job but the rebels relied on NATO to help them fend off the attack.
The rebels get stigmatized because they relied on NATO but Qaddafi gets
a free pass because the jets, tanks, heavy artillery and rockets that he
bought from imperialism did not constitute imperialist intervention into
the affairs of a sovereign nation just as Pinochet's or Mubarak's arms
purchases were legitimate. The only question, of course, is whether
imperialism understood that the weapons it sold Qaddafi would be used
against his own people. Geez, I wonder...