[Marxism] Post which has been filtered out by the system (re Morales on UNSC and Libya)

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Wed Sep 21 10:16:35 MDT 2011

Introductory comments to report on Morales remarks

I know it is immoral and probably should be illegal, but I still believe oil
was almost certainly among the considerations that entered into the NATO
decision to go to war in Libya. I don't believe the war was primarily or
simply "about oil," but I believe this is also true of ALL the wars of the
last two decades in South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa including
the two with Iraq and the often violent "cold war" with Iran. It seems quite
reasonable to me that they have hoped and expected from the start to win
even more concessions from a TNC, dependent on them for both their current
position and their survival, than they had already won from Gadhafi.

As of now, the anti-Gadhafi forces (TNC or whatever) still cannot win a
single battle without quite large-scale bombing by NATO including the
ongoing fights around Bani al Walid and Sirte. To me, this does not indicate
that the TNC or the Islamists or the Misrata group are as yet in a strong
position to effectively resist any imperialist demands. Their victory so far
has not even placed them in a stronger position against Gadhafi's remaining
forces. They are still incapable of winning without the bombers -- and any
idea that they won Tripoli entirely on their own is post-historical
dream-making.

Will they be able to gain political strength to resist or reject imperialist
demands sufficient to make up for their current military near-helplessness?
This is possible (I disagree with leftists who proceed on the basis that,
with Gadhafi more or less ousted, Libyan national sovereignty, independence,
and control of their resources is already a dead duck, but victory is by no
means assured and the battle is an uphill one.

It is important to defend Libya's sovereignty and independence
unconditionally (regardless of our assessment of the regime and its
opponents) against all imperialist demands under the post-Gadhafi regime,
just as it was correct to do this under Gadhafi and in the present war. And
I hope that the current divisions among the rebels will be resolved in a way
that will strengthen rather than further weaken Libya's hand in the
inevitably ongoing conflict with imperialism.

The performance of the anti-Gadhafi forces against the dictator indicates
that the miliry relationship of forces relative to imperialism will be, for
the uncertain future, even less favorable for Libya than it was before.

Can the political or international relationship evolve more favorably? Will
the Libyans be able to establish a government that can lead them in standing
up for the Libyan people in the future? That all remains to be seen.

But I think the military performance (and consequent dependence on
imperialism) of the former opposition (now the sort-of government) against
Gadhafi remains an unfavorable indicator.
Fred Feldman

MERCO PRESS
Monday, September 19th 2011 - 22:07 UTC

Bolivian president blasts the UN and the "Insecurity Council" on Libya

Bolivian president Evo Morales blasted United Nations and the Security
Council for having approved military actions against Libya, an issue which
he promised to consider when he addresses the General Assembly in New York.

"What Security Council are we talking about? I'd say it's an Insecurity
Council" said Morales in Havana, Cuba, arguing that the combined NATO attack
and bombings on Libya "is a shameful action for humanity."

The Bolivian president forecasted that once Muahmar Gaddfi has been removed
from office by force, Western powers will dispute the control of Libya's
vast oil and gas resources, "which they have always ambitioned".

"There is much interest in continuing to accumulate capital in a few hands,
in the hands of the world's oligarchy, of the big trans-national
corporations", said Morales.

The Bolivian president arrived in Havana over the weekend to meet Cuban
President Raul Castro and Venezuela's Hugo Chavez who is in Cuba for his
fourth chemotherapy treatment.

President Morales will be honoured at the Havana University with the title
of Doctor Honoris Causa in Political Science.

Morales from Havana travels to New York for the UN General Assembly where he
anticipated "some reflections about the crisis of capitalism, and inhuman
interventions such as the one practiced in Libya".

Bolivia's first indigenous president said developing nations such as Latin
America should take advantage of the current capitalism crisis and cut
dependency from the US and the European markets.

Before leaving Morales is expected to meet with the ailing fragile Fidel
Castro, father of the Cuban revolution, who stepped down in 2006 and he
considers an inspiring "sage old man".

Bolivia together with the ALBA members (Bolivarian Alternative Alliance of
the Americas) have strongly condemned the ousting of Gaddafi's regime by a
`gang' of NATO `bullies' and have refused to recognize the new Libyan
authorities.

US, Nato and most multilateral organizations such as the IMF have officially
recognized Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC).

ALBA is the brainchild of Venezuela's Hugo Chavez and includes, Venezuela,
Cuba, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and several English speaking Caribbean
islands (highly dependent on Venezuelan oil).