[Marxism] Muslim woman in France backs veil rights, runs for pres.

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Thu Sep 22 14:58:36 MDT 2011

Muslim women flout French ban of veilAP foreign, Thursday September 22 2011
ELAINE GANLEY

Associated Press= PARIS (AP) - Kenza Drider's posters for the French
presidential race are ready to go, months before the official campaign
begins. There she is, the "freedom candidate," pictured standing in front of
a line of police - a forbidden veil hiding her face.

Drider declared her longshot candidacy Thursday, the same day that a French
court fined two women who refuse to remove their veils. All three are among
a group of women mounting an attack on the law that has banned the garments
from the streets of France since April, and prompted similar moves in other
European countries.

They are bent on proving that the ban contravenes fundamental rights and
that women who hide their faces stand for freedom, not submission.

"When a woman wants to maintain her freedom, she must be bold," Drider told
The Associated Press in an interview.

President Nicolas Sarkozy strongly disagrees, and says the veil imprisons
women. Polls show that most French people support the ban, which authorities
estimate affects fewer than 2,000 women who wore the veil before the ban.

Drider declared her candidacy Thursday in Meaux, the city east of Paris run
by top conservative lawmaker and Sarkozy ally Jean-Francois Cope, who
championed the ban.

"I have the ambition today to serve all women who are the object of
stigmatization or social, economic or political discrimination," she said.
"It is important that we show that we are here, we are French citizens and
that we, as well, can bring solutions to French citizens."

Two other women arrested wearing veils in Meaux - while trying to deliver a
birthday cake to Cope - were fined in court Thursday, one euro120, the other
euro80.

They want to push their case to the European Court of Human Rights.

"We cannot accept that women be punished because they are openly practicing
their religious convictions. We are demanding the application of European
rights," said one of those convicted, Hind Ahmas.

With Islam the second religion in France and numbers of faithful growing,
there are worries that veiled Muslim women could compromise the nation's
secular foundations and undermine gender equality and women's dignity. There
are also concerns that practices like wearing full veils could open the door
to a radical form of Islam. Lawmakers banned Muslim headscarves in
classrooms in 2004.

Few Muslim women in France cover their faces. Most who veil themselves wear
the "niqab," a filmy cloth attached to the headscarf that covers all but the
eyes. The law also affects the burqa, with just a mesh covering over the
eyes, worn largely in Afghanistan.

Belgium passed a similar face veil ban that took effect in July, and the
Netherlands announced Friday it has drawn up legislation to outlaw Muslim
face veils. A draft law has been approved in Italy.

In France, the veil ban was also seen as a political maneuver by the
unpopular Sarkozy's conservative UMP party, which Cope chairs, to entice
deeply conservative and far-right voters.

Flouting the French measure outlawing face veils in all public places can
lead to a fine of euro150 and, in some cases, citizenship classes. However,
thus far there have been few legal consequences.

According to the Interior Ministry, 146 women have been given citations by
police but only a handful have reportedly been forced to take the next step
- appear before a judge for a possible fine. The Justice Ministry says
figures are not yet available.

"I tried to understand this law and what I understood is that this is a law
which puts us under house arrest," Drider said, referring to women who
choose to stay home rather than remove their face veils, or risk arrest.

What the law has done, she says, is give citizens the right to insult veiled
women.

Drider and others say that many women who refuse to remove their veils
become shut-ins rather than go outside and risk a citation, or insults. One
woman in a long black robe was seen recently in a chic Paris neighborhood
wearing a surgical mask on her face - one of several tricks developed to get
around the ban.

Drider, 32, who has worn a face veil for 13 years, hasn't shirked from
denouncing the ban in the past. She was the only veiled woman to testify
before an information commission of lawmakers studying a potential ban
before the law was passed.

With four children, Drider says she goes about the southern city of Avignon,
where she lives, facing down insults but left alone by police.

Ahmas, 32, from Aulnay-Sous-Bois, a northeast Paris suburb, looked for
trouble when she tried to deliver an almond cake to Cope, the mayor of
Meaux, with another veiled woman. The gesture was not without a touch of
humor: in French, "almond" sounds like "fine."

The women, while intent on showing the power behind the veil, have a male
backer. Rachid Nekkaz, a wealthy businessman revolted by the street ban, has
promised to pay fines for women sanctioned for breaking the law. With his
association, Don't Touch My Constitution, he heads Drider's support
committee for the presidency.

For Nekkaz, the Meaux case will be the first in France in which a conviction
for veiled women could stick. He wants to see an appeal eventually go to the
highest French court, then on to the European Court of Human Rights and
calculates that this could happen in 2014.

Drider has obstacles to overcome, too, like getting 500 mayors to back her
candidacy, a requirement for anyone running for the presidential elections
in April and May. With more than 36,000 mayors in France, she thinks this is
doable - despite her status as a lawbreaker.

Both women insist that neither Drider's candidacy for the presidential race
nor the Meaux court case are a provocation because their aim is to set
aright a measure they say has skewed French values and compromised women's
rights.

"My candidacy is to say the real problem in France is not us ... The real
problem in France is really women's freedom ... whatever their religion,"
she said. "So let's not focus on what I wear. Let's deal with the real
problems. My candidacy is really for that, to say don't stop at what I wear
but go much deeper."

---

Jeffrey Schaeffer in Meaux and Nicolas Garriga contributed to this report.