[Marxism] "Militant" report on Eva Chertov memorial meeting

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:12:03 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Mark Lause <markalause at gmail.com> wrote:

To me, the whole "cult" label partakes of a kind of swearing at the SWP, and
> I don't think that it's accurate or honest to refer to people who were
> members at some point in the past as "ex-cultists."

Beyond which the word itself has become a useless slur that has absolutely
no currency among scholars of religion, who rightfully regard it as
nonsense. It wasn't really necessary when it was a neutral synonym for "a
religion," but its perversion into a pejorative meaning "a religion I
particularly dislike" ranks among sociology's silliest contributions to the
popular discourse. Revolutionaries who wish to clearly understand religion,
group dynamics, or much of anything else clearly would do well to follow the
example of theologians and purge it from their vocabularies. Or, if you
must, reclaim it for its original use ("If I belonged to a cult, it would be
Ethical Culture/Humanistic Judaism/Zen Buddhism, etc.")

--
lytlað."