[Marxism] Gore Vidal 1925-2012

Jim jim at redunity.org.uk
Wed Aug 1 00:46:47 MDT 2012

[reply inline / bottom-posted]

on Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:08:36 -0400, jay rothermel wrote:

> http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/gore-vidal-celebrated-
> author-playwright-dies-16901631#.UBi4_aDEWgM
>
> My take on Vidal
> http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/rothermel291010.html

But no one mentions what he was up to politically in the mid-70s.

When I was in Toronto in Fall 1976, spouting peaens of praise about his
novels at a leftist social gathering, one young man vehemently denounced
Vidal's 'blowing the whistle' on left activists in his (syndicated?)
column. For just that week my informant had had to flee the USA with wife
and small children to evade the US authorities thanks to what Vidal had
written so prominently. (Sadly, more than this I cannot recall.)

--
Jim (jim at redunity.org.uk) on 01/08/2012