[Marxism] Religious Sectarianism and Killings in Syria and Turkey

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 5 13:31:57 MDT 2012

On 8/5/12 3:03 PM, Tom Cod wrote:

> This NYT article is about persecution and harassment of Alawites in
> Syria and Turkey.  While pride in ethnic and religious heritage and
> political activism based partly on that are not bad, when as in Iraq
> that turns towards ethnic killings and pogroms, then a question is
> raised about whether such groups warrant the unqualified political
> support, to say nothing of material aid, from progressive people.
> Based on this, I don't see that allegations that the Houla massacre
> and other atrocities were committed by the FSA as being that
> far-fetched.

It is not far-fetched at all. The problem, however, is that the
pro-Assad left rallied around Houla as a way of demonstrating the purity
of the Assad dictatorship. "See", they said, "the imperialist media is
lying once again about pure, innocent Bashar al-Assad". It was a cynical
exercise in light of the fact that over 15,000 people have died as a
result of the regime's war against the people.