[Marxism] Religious Sectarianism and Killings in Syria and Turkey

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 5 14:37:48 MDT 2012

Well, Louis, Cod's retorts, like those on Kasama, about Syrian sectarianism are the way that some who purport to be Marxists justify their . . .reticence. . . in the face of an actual revolutionary struggle. It seems "identity politics" is something to be abhorred when people of color rise up or even raise objections to the rather obvious racism inherent in the attention given to the "islamism" of the Arab Spring when that Spring is directed at posturing pseudo anti-imperialists and actual national bourgeois agents of imperialism in places like Syria and Libya, but that same notion of identity politics is used indiscriminately to oppose giving even verbal solidarity with a people in the streets and fighting with every weapon at their disposal as they can to overthrow their oppressors. Why would anyone be surprised that in a mass struggle with all the various class layers, especially in a severely repressed state like Syria, would produce some atrocities "on both sides"? I am more surprised at the relative lack of them, but even more greatly amazed that people supposedly schooled in the principles of the Russian revolution and Leninism would display such . . .quailing. . .when such events occur? The whole purpose of Marxism (and Leninism and Trotskyism) is to reveal the science of revolutionary struggle based on a class analysis and the nature of a revolutionary process. How is this even a problem?

Instead of a scientific analysis of the struggle and the objective class interests being diametrically opposed, we are treated to insipid prognostications about religious fundamentalism being at the "core" of struggles, especially in the Middle East and, somehow, that is so "bad" we can't even muster a statement of solidarity?  It seems that the new litmus test is whether the masses of Syria and elsewhere have sufficiently discarded their Islamist roots before they merit the support of supposed Marxists. Even more telling is that almost to a person, opponents of the Syrian revolution (and that is exactly what these pretend-analyzers are) seem to have no difficulty with supporting the Palestinian struggle (oh, right, except for all that Hamas business), but quail before a people actually fighting successfully to overthrow their oppressors.

I just believe all this "opposition" to the struggle in Syria is . . . fear. And, perhaps, not a little ignorance.