[Marxism] Religious Sectarianism and Killings in Syria and Turkey

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:26:14 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

Anyway, as a matter of trivia, if nothing else, thanks to the Angry Arab
> for pointing out that the Times article that started this exchange
> confuses Alevis for Alawites

More trivia: Alevi is Turkish for Alawi. Which doesn't mean they aren't two
distinct groups - I'm assured they are - but I can see how the Times would
have a hard time keeping them straight in Turkey, where both exist and
Alawi prefer to be called "Arab Alevis," which is somehow intended to help
avoid confusion.

--
lytlað."