[Marxism] Glenn Greenwald drinks the anti-Syria Kool-Aid

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:43:36 MDT 2012

Greenwald is hands down my favorite writer/blogger/commentator today, but he
makes an egregious error today which so far he has refused to acknowledge or
correct. In an article <
http://www.salon.com/2012/08/07/unrestrained_savagery/ > in which he
spotlights the usual U.S. hypocrisy in condemning terrorists for something
the U.S. itself practices - targeting funerals - Greenwald makes the
following categorical claim:

"The Assad regime this year has also has employed <
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/06/more-than-70-killed-by-car
-bombing-at-funeral-in-syrian-town.html >  this Terror tactic against Syrian
rebels:"

Not even an "allegedly" in that sentence.

Now consider the source, linked by Greenwald. Here's what you'll read there:
a car bomb (hardly the weapon of choice of the Syrian army) went off at a
funeral and killed 85 people. Now as to who set that bomb:

"Abu Omar, an activist in Zamalka who attended the funeral...laid the blame
on government forces. "This is an attempt by the regime so that people will
fear gathering because there could be another explosion," he said.

By the way "Abu Omar...requested to be identified by a nickname for his
safety." So even the originator of this completely unsupported assertion is
unknown.

Can we GET "proof" any less convincing than that? I doubt it, but evidently
it was enough for Glenn Greenwald to assert categorically that the Assad
regime was the source of the bombing. I'll just add, for those with short
memories, that the Syrian opposition has repeatedly claimed <
http://lefti.blogspot.com/2012/05/syrian-forces-killed-blame-government.html
> that various bombings were the work of the Syrian government even when
such bombings targeted Syrian military intelligence facilities.

No claim too preposterous when the bogeyman-du-jour is the object. But I
never thought I'd see Glenn Greenwald succumbing to such nonsense.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com