[Marxism] Book review: Comic curmudgeon Harvey Pekar faces truth about Israel | The Electronic Intifada

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 8 09:15:25 MDT 2012

On 8/8/12 11:03 AM, Gregory Adler wrote:

> This sounds like something worth reading
> Any hope of the Pekar-Pryect book being revived?
>
> http://electronicintifada.net/content/book-review-comic-curmudgeon-harvey-pekar-faces-truth-about-israel/11562

Actually I copyrighted my text yesterday. I am going to be writing
Random House and Joyce Brabner fairly soon to give them an ultimatum. If
they have no plans to publish the book, I will begin serializing it on
my blog without the artist's illustrations. I will include a number of
jpegs that I gave her to use as a basis for her drawings. She told me
that she would not allow me to use her drawings on my blog because it
was preferable to see the work in print. I replied that so would I but
had given up hope that this is going to ever happen.

I wrote the text back in 2008 with the understanding that the comic book
would come out in 2009. I told Harvey that I had bitter experiences with
publishers in the past and would never have bothered unless he was
involved. When he died, everything began to wither on the vine.

When I called an agent a year and a half ago about them representing me,
they contacted Brabner who phoned me and poured out abuse for close to
an hour. Her message was that if I continued to "bother" Random House,
the book might not be published. It was like hearing my mother tell me
that if I didn't clean my room, I couldn't go to the movies on Saturday
afternoon. Paul Buhle, through whom I met Pekar, once told me that he
tried to avoid Brabner as much as possible. She is a total creep.

Will keep you all posted.