[Marxism] Opposition has hit list in Syria?--a la Indonesia?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 13 13:36:57 MDT 2012

On 8/13/12 3:31 PM, Sebastian Clare wrote:
> I agree with such an observation, and would add the Guardian to that latter
> category, and possibly even the Independent. Can't think of another
> national newspapers in the UK and Ireland who wouldn't be in the former
> category...

I wonder if the London Times was any good before Murdoch bought because
right now it reads like a tabloid. This piece just showed up on Kasama
Project in reply to one of Binh's articles. It strikes me as pure garbage:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/features/article1096135.ece#page-3

Are you ready to die?

The war photographer John Cantlie expected a warm Syrian welcome.
Instead he met hate-filled Londoners

John Cantlie Published: 5 August 2012

On the face of it, we didn’t do anything wrong. We went to the same town
we’d been to before, stayed in the same hotel, called the same fixer,
took the same route. But when an assignment in a war zone goes wrong, it
goes wrong fast. Within an hour of crossing the border into Syria we
were in deep trouble.

I ended up running for my life, barefoot and handcuffed, while British
jihadists — young men with south London accents — shot to kill. They
were aiming their Kalashnikovs at a British journalist, Londoner against
Londoner in a rocky landscape that looked like the Scottish Highlands.
Bullets kicking up dirt as I ran. A bullet through my arm. Another
grazing my ear. And not a Syrian in sight. This wasn’t what I had expected.

(clip)