[Marxism] Alexander Cockburn, RIP

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Tue Aug 14 09:35:14 MDT 2012

On 14.08.2012 16:42, DW wrote:

> I suspect his ramblings about George Orwell were akin to most of his
> attacks on "Trotskyites", something he never let up on when he had the
> opportunity, especially with regards to Spain given that his father
> was a big-time British International Brigade volunteer during the
> Revolution there. He was quite 'un-reconstructed' in this regard.

Claud C. was sent to Spain by the CPGB as a reporter for the Stalinist
"Daily Worker". While there he joined the 5th International Brigade but
continued to report for the "Daily Worker". Orwell was highly critical
of him in "Homage to Catalo0nia" and the detestation was mutual.

Alexander C. was always very protective of his father, whose writings on
Spain weren't exactly a highpoint in his journalistic career - to put it
mildly!

Einde O'Callaghan