[Marxism] Blame Flies Over Police Massacre of 34 South African Miners

Jeff Goodwin jgoodwin.nyu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:04:44 MDT 2012

> Friday Aug 17, 2012 1:40 pm
> Blame Flies Over Police Massacre of 34 South African Miners
> By Mike Elk
>
> Coauthored with Bhaskar Sunkara.
>
>  . . . The National Union of Mineworkers, however, has stood behind the
> police. “The police were patient, but these people were extremely armed
> with dangerous weapons,” NUM General Secretary Frans Baleni told Kaya FM.

“A senior police official said: ‘I don’t now know how many we shot.’ He is
reported to have added: ‘If they do these things they must learn the hard
way.’ Earlier, South Africa Air Force planes flew over the trouble spot in
a show of force. But the Africans ignored all orders to disperse.”

This is from The New York Times . . . March 22, 1960