[Marxism] Assange

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:01:38 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM, dan <d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

For my part, I am perplexed by the Swe resoldish gov.'s refusal to
> guarantee there will be no extradition to the US.

Apparently, they simply can't without an active extradition request:

The difficulty is that Sweden has not received an extradition request and
nor could it have since Assange is in Ecuador's Embassy in the UK. On a
practical level Sweden could not give an undertaking on a request not yet
received. Legally there are problems too. In Sweden section 15 of their
Extradition For Criminal Offences Act states that “ Before the government
makes a decision , the Prosecutor General shall deliver a statement of
opinion on the matter. In addition , if the person referred to in the
request has not consented to being extradited, the case shall be tried by
the Supreme Court. The request shall , however, be rejected immediately if
there is a manifest reason why it should not be granted. “ Therefore it
appears that if the extradition is contested as it would be in Assange's
case then it is a matter for the court not the government to decide if he
is extradited.

http://www.firmmagazine.com/features/1179/Assange_-_what%27s_going_on%3F.html

--
lytlað."