[Marxism] Why defend Assange...

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:20:20 MDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Eli Stephens <elishastephens at hotmail.com>wrote:

Assange has repeatedly invited Swedish prosecutors to question him in
> Britain, and Ecuador has now repeated that invitation. Assange has also
> repeatedly offered to go to Sweden if guaranteed that he wouldn't be
> extradited to the U.S. That Sweden has refused both of those requests shows
> that their interest in prosecuting a rape case and providing justice to an
> alleged rape victim is nil.

Well, no. Assange isn't merely wanted by Sweden authorities for
questioning, but also for arrest. And the Swedish government cannot
guarantee its refusal of an extradition request that doesn't exist, under
either its own or international law.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

> Further, we now have Britain bearing the expense of stationing 20 cops
> outside the Ecuadorian embassy 24/7, indefinitely, and threatening to tear
> down centuries of international law by invading an embassy. And we're to
> believe they're doing this not to bring a convicted mass murderer to
> justice, not for a convicted rapist, not even for someone who has been
> CHARGED with rape, but someone who is simply wanted for questioning?

Aside from the legal confusion in your last two clauses (the Swedes DON'T
charge you UNTIL you're arrested), I agree.

--
lytlað."