[Marxism] Marx's Racist Put-Down of Lassalle

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:34:18 MDT 2012

It's a great subject, Andrew, though the circumstances are so
different today, it's hardly comparable.

In Marx's day, the armed militaries that propped up those top-heavy
regimes were much smaller than we can imagine.  And building a
military force that could confront and defeat them was just within
reach.  Generally Marx and Engels snorted and snickered about such
things, particularly when their comrades like August Willich were
doing such things in Baden in 1849.  Then again, though, Engels served
under Willich and he and Marx--between the lines--were clearly
enamoured of Garibaldi.  His 1860 landing in Sicily of the "Thousand"
that grew as it advanced through the countryside to a point where it
could take Palermo and help detonate a revival of the national
movement across Italy.  Then, too, we should remember the importance
of the legions of black soldiers in the American Civil War, who
changed its course and character.

Moreover, both Baden in 1849 and in Sicily in 1860 had International
Legions.  The concept probably survived into the twentieth century
through things like the International Brigades in Spain or the Irish
Republican Army, though the history of both of these underscore the
outdated nature of the strategy today.

ML