[Marxism] A PR disaster: Five views on Pussy Riot's war

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 23 10:08:15 MDT 2012

More from Joseph's sage commentator, Da Russophile:

http://darussophile.com/2012/08/08/its-a-culture-war-stupid
It’s A Culture War, Stupid
Posted on August 8, 2012

One of the things that most annoys me about Western coverage of
St.-Petersburg’s law against homosexual propaganda to minors, the case
against Pussy Riot, etc., is how it is almost always presented as a
show-down between “liberated” and “creative” Russians and the macho
dictator Putin.

In reality, of course, it’s a culture war – and as a result the majority
is on the conservative side of the spectrum and the government merely
accedes to this fact. This is the case with Pussy Riot. It is also the
case with the anti-homosexual laws. According to the polls, which no
Western journalist cares about for all his feigned concern for the
opinions of “ordinary Russians”, 14% of Russians support homosexual
marriages, 84% oppose; 8% want to allow gay parades, 82% are against.
Three quarters consider homosexuality to be a deviancy, a disease, or a
mental illness.

(clip)

This character, one Antony Karlin, describes himself as follows on his
"about" page:

As regards Russian politics, I make no secret that I’m a pro-Putin
conservative.

I consider Charles de Gaulle to have done a great job, and consider
Putin to be a comparable figure in vision and stature.