[Marxism] Capitalism and the ‘undeniable’ rise in living standards

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 27 15:03:39 MDT 2012

Two days ago I received an email from Ed Leahy, a Marxmail subscriber:

I am a nascent Marxist and am now almost continually struggling against
the general Capitalist ideological current that seems to have been
internalized by pretty much everybody I know. I have found that the main
argument they make for Capitalism is the ‘undeniable’ rise in living
standards that has been engendered under a capitalist economy. I have
been finding this a hard point to interrogate, as my own narrative is
the same as theirs, i.e. the capitalist West has the highest standard of
living, newly capitalist China is now lifting itself out of poverty etc.
As a Marxist, how would you respond such a defense of Capitalism?

my reply to Ed:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/capitalism-and-the-undeniable-rise-in-living-standards/