[Marxism] Amnesty Calls on UN to stop the US, Qatar and Turkey funding and arming Syria Rebels

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 28 14:47:43 MDT 2012

At 15:22 28-08-12 -0500, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:

>I recall that CP piece about Putin. Nevertheless the line quoted has the
>uncomfortable characteristic of being true.

Yes, it is absolutely true:

"...Amnesty International has devoted extraordinary attention to the Pussy
Riot case, while totally ignoring, for instance, the threat of U.S.
prosecution that led Julian Assange to seek political asylum..."

You might even call them "hypocrites." So for me (and most others reading
this) the conclusion is that we should lobby AI to give significant support
to Wikileaks and Assange. And then they wouldn't be hypocrites. If you'd
like to petition them in that regard you may add my name to the appeal.

But the Johnstone piece seems to be saying the opposite, that AI was wrong
to support Pussy Riot who, after all, were duly convicted of the Russian
law that restricts free speech when it comes to the Christian church. So
she seems to agree that AI is hypocritical, but demands that they resolve
that issue by not supporting anyone's free speech!

And more to the point, the piece attacking AI was designed to cast doubt on
the reports of Amnesty, which happen to correspond to those of most
grass-roots and independent observers, concerning the brutality of the
Assad regime as it gets more and more desperate to cling on to power. So
first they tried to get a statement falsely attributed to AI posted on the
AI website stating that Amnesty had taken a position opposing the Syrian
revolution. But then when the webmaster saw that and took the page down,
here comes a slander of the same organization they had just tried to
portray as supporting their position! How pathetic....

- Jeff