[Marxism] Side by Side

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 29 14:40:21 MDT 2012

Opening on Friday at the Quad Cinema and Lincoln Center in New York
(nationwide roll-out information is here), “Side by Side” is a brilliant
exploration of the tensions between traditional film and emerging
digital technologies. As someone who has recently spent around $2700 on
a JVC prosumer camera and accessories in order to take part in the DIY
revolution, the issues are of keen interest to me (see my Vimeo story of
the search for a near-perfect video camera below). But even if you own
nothing more than a cell phone equipped to take videos or a modest
digital camera with the same capabilities you will be richly rewarded if
you see this documentary since it touches on a universal
experience—going to the movies.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/side-by-side/