[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 1 15:03:14 MST 2012

On 12/1/12 4:55 PM, Jon Flanders wrote:
> At any rate, both acknowledge Lincoln's contribution, no support in
> either for the bout of Lincoln bashing that Spielberg's film seems to
> have generated in some quarters of the left.

Look, these are Lincoln's words--posted as a comment on my blog:

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of
bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white
and black races–that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making
voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor
to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this,
that there is a physical difference between the white and black races
which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on
terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so
live, while they do remain together there must be the position of
superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of
having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

Hoisted on his own petard. Ironically, Lincoln got his way in the end.
The slaves were freed but then turned into a kind of new slave through
debt peonage, prison labor, etc. Now that I am retired, I have time to
read a shitload of books I bought over the years. This one is high on my
list:

http://www.slaverybyanothername.com/

> With co-workers saying that the film made them want to know more about
> US history, I'm happy, whatever the Hollywood liberalism inevitable in
> it.

Refer them to Oliver Stone's series.