[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 15:31:59 MST 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 17:17 -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:

> On 12/1/12 5:11 PM, Jon Flanders wrote:
> > So Lincoln was a product of his times?
>
> I suppose so, but so was Thaddeus Stevens--portrayed as a kind of
> hotheaded fool by Kushner/Spielberg.

Evidently though, from what I have heard, people are coming away from
the movie wanting to know more about Stevens, and have a positive
impression from the film.

I would encourage people to find a way to read McPherson's essay, I have
it on my Kindle. Berlin in no substantial way even tries to refute it
point by point. Bottom line, leadership does matter, and I have learned
the hard way about timing, something Lincoln had in his bones as a
politician I guess.

Yes, by all means, promote the Stone film. Looking forward to seeing it.
I wish it wasn't behind a paywall on Showtime though. Thanks to Mark L
fro the youtube tip. I passed it along here.

Jon Flanders