[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:54:56 MST 2012

I never know what the preoccupations of those broader "progressive"
circles might be, but I don't really care either.  I never undersstood
what their model for change is and certainly find my attention
wandering any time I find myself in the kind of dicussion you get at a
cocktail party with English professors . . .

Among people who have a clear focus on revolutionary change--with that
as a model--we have to acknowledge that revolutions are made by people
. . . some of whom may have said and done all sorts of outrageous shit
at different points before they find themselves making a revolution.

Some might have not even thought things through very carefully before
they find themselves making a revolution.

Most play very specific and often narrow roles in the process and
wouldn't grasp the bigger picture or figure into another role.

But it doesn't matter.

In this case, who did Thaddeus Stevens, Frederick Douglass, Susan B.
Anthony, John Ross, and every one of the survivors of John Brown's
effort support?  As far as that goes, who did those radical emigre
groups that were goosing the Fremont bid wind up supporting?

And why?  Because of very, real, concrete developments in the material world.

I'm with them.  :-)

Solidarity!
Mark L.