[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Thomas Bias tgbias at ptd.net
Sat Dec 1 23:25:17 MST 2012

John Ross? In 1861 John Ross expressed his support for the Confederacy just
as strongly as Stand Watie did. And while members of the Ross party found
themselves fighting alongside Union forces, mainly because the Confederacy
threw its support squarely behind the Ridge party (led by Watie, who was
ultimately commissioned a brigadier general in the Confederate army), I'll
need to see evidence that Ross in any way, shape, or form supported Lincoln.
Ross was certainly a major slaveholder, and his brother was involved in
bringing hundreds of slaves into the Indian Territory for sale even after
Lincoln had been elected. But there may be information I haven't seen, so
please share. ~Tom