[Marxism] Lincoln and bourgeois revolutions

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 2 13:40:16 MST 2012

On 12/2/12 3:20 PM, Anthony Boynton wrote:

> Hi everyone: Well of course, there have never been any revolutions
> anywhere. Bloody stupid wastes of time.
>
> Personally, I would say that the idea the the Civil War was the second
> American revolution is close to the mark. More than that, I would say that
> the American revolution in very deep ways completed the British revolution
> (Cromwell et. al.).

But what kind of revolution was 1776 in light of the fact that the class
that led it was based on a mode of production less advanced than the
class it opposed?

That is why I thought the article on the war of 1812 that appeared on
Black Agenda Report was so intriguing:

http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/1776-slaveholders%E2%80%99-revolution-review-negro-comrades-crown

1776, The Slaveholders’ Revolution: A Review of "Negro Comrades of the
Crown"

While official US history makes Britain the aggressor, raiding US
merchant navigation and impressing Americans into British naval service,
it ignores the Royal Navy’s mission to suppress the slave trade and thus
liberate American chattel from bondage on the high seas. The official
narrative also ignores US designs on British North America—Canada—
strongly motivated by the desire to eliminate this refuge for escaped
slaves as well as to extend slavery throughout the American continent.
As a result of these lacunae the hostility of the US toward
Britain—which persisted until 1914—and the increasing viciousness of US
laws enforcing the race and bondage regime—which have scarcely
subsided—can scarcely be explained or rationally debated.

Until the completion of the Louisiana Purchase and the seizure of
Florida, the US slavocracy felt itself under constant internal and
external threat. One could say even that the fanatical defenses of white
supremacy erected since 1776 are the deep psychological foundation for
today’s seemingly incurable national security psychosis. In fact Horne’s
history of African militancy and military daring leading up to the
American Civil War provides the deep history for the inseparability of
racism and fascism in the US. Whether it is the race riots incited in
Northern states to oppose the Civil War draft, the state-sanctioned
creation of the Ku Klux Klan to defeat Radical Reconstruction or the
various Red Scares of the 20th century, the ultimate targets have been
African-Americans. Horne’s history of African-Americans fighting on the
side of Great Britain against the United States and its racist regime
shows that the continued hostility of the United States government at
all levels toward African-Americans is not the product of mere
cumulative prejudice against people of color. He also shows by
implication that racial prejudice did not arise from a generalized
perception of African-Americans as inferior. Rather as in all colonial
projects—or better said, in all projects of which grand theft is the
central element—it is essential to create and maintain the inferiority
of those who are robbed. They must be persuaded that what they have lost
they did not deserve, if only because they were unable to defend it
against theft. Even today the depiction of Haiti and other black and
brown nations is one of hopelessly poor, helpless, incompetent and
corrupt—in a now-fashionable term—“failed” states.

(clip)