[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:41:10 MST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Jon Flanders
<jonathan.flanders at verizon.net> wrote:

>> On 12/1/12 5:11 PM, Jon Flanders wrote:
>> > So Lincoln was a product of his times?
>>
>> I suppose so, but so was Thaddeus Stevens--portrayed as a kind of
>> hotheaded fool by Kushner/Spielberg.
>
> Evidently though, from what I have heard, people are coming away from
> the movie wanting to know more about Stevens, and have a positive
> impression from the film.

I just returned from having watched the movie with a friend. I have to
say that Stevens was portrayed in in a favorable light. Played by
Tommy Lee Jones, his witty and sarcastic demeanor was in full display,
as he dressed down the pro-slavery democrats and at the same time did
not allow himself to be baited by them. He was permitted to take the
signed 13th amendment home, where he promptly delivered it to his
African-American housekeeper/mistress, and in a quaint bedroom scene,
they read the bill aloud. Of course, he was also dressed down publicly
quite severely by Madame President, but he held his piece and
compromised on language (the meaning of equality) when the time came.
My friend said she liked his character the most.

Greg