[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:54:07 MST 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/12 10:41 PM, Greg McDonald wrote:
>>
>> I just returned from having watched the movie with a friend. I have to
>> say that Stevens was portrayed in in a favorable light. Played by
>> Tommy Lee Jones, his witty and sarcastic demeanor was in full display,
>> as he dressed down the pro-slavery democrats and at the same time did
>> not allow himself to be baited by them. He was permitted to take the
>> signed 13th amendment home, where he promptly delivered it to his
>> African-American housekeeper/mistress, and in a quaint bedroom scene,
>> they read the bill aloud.
>

> Did he touch a dead plant with his index finger and bring it back to life as
> well?

Not at all. In fact, as you may imagine, Jones was quite capable of
putting some flesh on the bones of his character, who was, how can I
say it, charming and abrasive at the same time, more abrasive if you
happened to have been on the receiving end of his political whip, but
funny enough to sympathetic members of the chamber to literally bring
down the house.

Greg