[Marxism] Eric Foner letter on Lincoln

DCQ davecq at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 10:10:41 MST 2012

Are we really basing entire political judgments on single quotes? Ugh, fine I'll play.

Lou's Lincoln quote is from 1858. Here's him addressing freed slaves in Virginia 1865 immediately after the end of the war:

"In reference to you, colored people, let me say God has made you free. Although you have been deprived of your God-given rights by your so-called masters, you are now as free as I am, and if those that claim to be your superiors do not know that you are free, take the sword and bayonet and teach them that you are."

Of course, reality is more complex than either single quote, but if we're going to call ourselves historical materialists, then we should at least try to understand/explain the process of how he goes from one to the other.

Frankly, the idea that Lincoln was just another white supremacist president in the long line of them is just as stupid as the idea that he was an angel in an equally long line of same. Neither understands history. And further, the "just another racist" theory is politically demotivating, chalking up all change to nefarious people in control behind the scenes manipulating the ignorant masses for their own ends, denigrating any "impure" political change--let alone a world historic revolution--as essentially meaningless.

soli,
DCQ