[Marxism] Sarin gas in Syria?

John Obrien causecollector at msn.com
Tue Dec 4 20:28:09 MST 2012

The word revolution in this email contribution was used to describe the current conflict in Syria.   Really?
Also with similar wording that could reflect a strange friendly political orientation to current U. S. government policies - instead of any serious reality of what forces are actually involved and for what nation's benefits.

What serious marxist does not understand the nature and role of NATO and other pro-capitalist formations?
Was it not Britain's Winston Churchill who launched the first chemical attack in that region of the world to defeat the Iraqi people's rebellion against British colonialism soon after WWI?  Are we to seriously consider
Britain or the U. S.governments, as some kind of friends to the Syrian people?  Does the expansion of Turkey's influence into this region of their former land possessions, bode well for the Syrian or Kurdish peoples, or any leftists group in that region?  All these and other questions are relevant to what is happening in Syria.

I am not in favor of either al-Assad Bashir staying in power - or of a Wahibi Islamist dominant formation taking power in Syria either.  I see little evidence of significant left influence in the rebel forces and only see mostly reactionary religious based ideology in control of those forces on the ground.  I oppose any NATO actions in Asia or anywhere.  The only thing I support regarding NATO, is if that body agreed to dissolve
itself - that would be the first progressive and welcoming thing it ever did for this planet's future.

Why should we have any interest in U. S. government policies winning?  We should be concerned about how little Marxist writings and ideas are being made available to the Syrian people.  Instead of ignoring the left need to unite in each nation and work together internationally against capitalism, we allow this needed focus to be diverted on the various maneuvering and policies of pro-capitalist formations and their flunky partners.
Of course there will be wars/conflicts and oppression continuing - until we get rid of capitalism instead of being cheerleaders for one wrong formation over another - that never leads in anything worthwhile, when
economic forces bend individuals or groupings to their will.  Only rejecting these economic rulers continuing their bloody games, can free us all from this.