[Marxism] Hyde Park on the Hudson

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 6 09:29:23 MST 2012

Starting in mid-November, I begin to receive “A-List” type screeners
from Hollywood’s big-time production companies and distributors such as
The Weinstein Company, Focus Features, et al. The films are generally
marketed to a middle-class audience more interested in serious drama
than car chases. The prototypical film is Spielberg’s “Lincoln”,
something I detested but that is likely to garner multiple Oscars.

However, something ostensibly very close in spirit did arrive, namely
“Hyde Park on the Hudson”, a movie that dramatizes an affair that FDR
had with his fifth cousin in the late 30s as well as a visit that the
stuttering King George VI of England and his wife the Queen make to Hyde
Park in the summer of 1939. I was all set to hate this film just as much
as “Lincoln” but was pleasantly surprised to enjoy every minute of it,
so much so that I will be nominating it as one of the three best movies
of the year for our annual New York Film Critics Online meeting on Sunday.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/hyde-park-on-the-hudson/