[Marxism] Bricmont

dan d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 6 16:42:44 MST 2012

I tend to agree with Louis where Bricmont is concerned. He is not a
Marxist and is increasingly displaying worrying signs of turning
critiques of Zionism and American Realpolitik into an appreciation for
nationalist solutions to Capitalist contradictions.  If you think
"anti-Capitalism" means handing over the control of the accumulation
process to a centralized state run by a "strongman"(/men) which can
mobilize the working class and force the bourgeoisie to invest in order
to create jobs, then Bricmont is a perfect representative of this brand
of so-called "anti-Capitalists". No matter that the working class will
still be nowhere near self-management or that the inherent
contradictions within the present mode of production itself will not
disappear by simply ignoring the tendency for the rate of profit to fall.

I used to consider him something of an interesting "deconstructionist" -
i.e. someone who was not afraid to ruthlessly pin point the shortcomings
of various and sundry irrational ideologies and hypocritical power
mongering. I was thus surprised to see him mentioned approvingly in
French neo-fascist sites ("Against the World Empire controlled by the
US/Zionist lobby, which seeks to enslave the honest working class of the
various countries of the world in the interest of a parasitic community
that owes its allegiance to Israel, certain freethinking, principled
leaders have emerged : Chavez, Ahmanidejad, Putin, Kim Il Jung. Sadly,
many members of the downtrodden Muslim nations are being used as
cannonfodder in the name of Jihad which is only a pretext for the
US/Zionist EMpire to try to prevent working class people from realizing
who their real ennemy is : the Jewish elite who are the true masters of
the world." - to see Bricmont associate himself with "those kinds of
websites" is disturbing, to say the least.