[Marxism] DJANGO UNCHAINED Screening

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 7 13:09:14 MST 2012

On 12/7/12 2:23 PM, Claire Kelleher wrote:
> Hi Louis,
>
> Thank you for coming to see DJANGO!  I’d love to know your thoughts on
> the film, any reaction you can send my way?
>
> Best,
>
> Claire

Well, I won't be reviewing it since I walked out after Christof Waltz
and Jamie Foxx arrived at the plantation owned by Don Johnson 15 minutes
into the film. I just got tired of the white characters using the word
"nigger" in about every line that came out their mouths. I know it's
supposed to be the Old South but I couldn't help feeling that Quentin
Tarantino was just up to his old tricks, having his white characters use
the word for shock value. I guess I am just tired of this kind of faux
hipster pose. It reminds me to much of Lena Dunham's all-white shtick on
the HBO "comedy" Girls.

I also rubbed my eyes when I saw Jamie Foxx as Django dressed in a
powder-blue servant's costume from the court of Louis XIV. Does anybody
have the nerve nowadays to tell Quentin that something like that is
stupid? Don't forget that when Woody Allen got too big for his britches,
he ended up eventually having to make films in Europe because Hollywood
decided he was no longer bankable.

Anyhow, don't worry about what I think. I blog as the Unrepentant
Marxist to give you an idea of how "unhip" I am. I am sure that people
will line up around the block to buy a ticket for the movie when it opens.