[Marxism] re[marxism] condemn imperialist wars in libya and syria

dan d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 8 18:58:20 MST 2012

Hi,

Revolutions are the product of many factors and an expression of class
contradictions. So far, the basic social structure of Egypt, Tunisia and
Libya does not seem to have changed much. The local comprador
bourgeoisie still controls these countries together with the military
and foreign corporations on the lookout for new regional opportunities
(Omani, Quatari, Lebaneese, French and UK companies are actually
investing even more heavily in Egyptian and Tunisian construction
companies because they have a very cheap workforce and high quality
ciment - ideal for the real estate needs of the Arab Gulf emirates and
the "Gulf boom".). Local Islamist parties appear to be doing a very good
job of keeping the rabble in line, which is a godsend (no pun intended)
for the powers that be.
As long as the low-paid and highly-exploited Egyptian masses continue to
mobilize against Youtube videos or the Tunisian masses against
Persepolis, as long as they see "Allah-hu Akbar" (God is Great) as a
rallying cry, then any demagogue can harness their disaffection and any
talk of radical egalitarianism becomes out of bounds.
Religion has become the control lever for the Arab masses. Now you can
say that this is really just a way of rejecting the US Empire and that
religion is really just a particular way of expressing distrust of
Western Capitalism. The problem is that this does not seem to be the
case. The Muslim Brotherhood leaders are urban businessmen, with savvy
investment portfolios. The growth of Salafism is a reaction on the part
of the urban proletariat against the class interests of the Muslim
Brotherhood. But if Saudi Arabia's brand of Salafism is anything to go
by (and it is seen as corrupt and in a state of "jahiliyya"by most
Muslims), it tends to reflect patriarchal and oligarchical values again
far removed from the egalitarian and libertarian values at the heart of
Marxism.
Just as the Pilgrim fathers are often seen as precursors of American
capitalism, maybe part of the problem might lie with Islam itself, since
it was founded on expansion through plunder and slavery by a group of
merchants who were battling to control Arabian trade routes.