[Marxism] More on the 'Anti-German' Idiocy

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 14:14:29 MST 2012

Paul Flewers wrote:

> still lurks around the German left in respect of the prevalence of
> pro-Zionism

Yeah, again, this is nothing that originated with the Anti-Germans.  You can consult Ulrike Meinhof's earliest writings to see that it was fairly uncontroversial that the pre-67 New Left in Germany was basically supportive of Israel.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Noam Chomsky writes in _The Fateful Triangle_ that pre-67, pro-Israel sentiment was fairly widespread in the New Left internationally.

Then there were debates around the time of the first Intifada in the mid-80s concerning the legacy of anti-Semitism in the extra-parliamentary left of the 70s, which is largely unknown to people who aren't familiar with the history of the post-war (West-)German left.  Incidents like the Tupamaros West Berlin planning to bomb the Jewish Community Center, or one part of the Revolutionary Cells engaging in a separation of hostages into "Jewish" and "non-Jewish" during an Air France hijacking.

All of this is completely unfamiliar to most British and American leftists, since in the British and American context, "anti-Semitism" is usually just a cudgel wielded to silence criticism of Israel, whereas in the German left of the 1970s and early 80s, there were actually very real, very ugly manifestations of anti-Semitism, and the autonomist milieu of the 80s and early 90s was engaged in a critical process of processing those experiences.

It gives too much credit to the Anti-Germans to assume they had much of anything to do with it.  All they ever did was introduced obfuscatory jargon and idiotic "theory" into the discussion, like the completely bananas notion of any criticism of finance being a "structural anti-Semitism" (for a good critique of this bonkers notion, see Gerhard Hanloser's piece here: <http://communism.blogsport.eu/2011/07/18/attac-the-critique-of-globalization-and-structural-antisemitism/> )

> which has a grip in the Left Party. He added that a move to expel the
> hard-line pro-Zionists from the Left Party was defeated

It's been a while since I took a look at the party program, but I'm fairly certain the position on Israel and Palestine is standard peace movement boilerplate, support for the rights of both peoples to live in peace and security, a full withdrawal of Israel to the 67 borders and compliance with UN resolutions, dismantling of all settlements, etc.  Basically, what folks like Chomsky and Finkelstein demand.  This is more or less the consensus position.