[Marxism] Book inquiry : Mathematics for the masses

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Dec 14 08:41:51 MST 2012

On 12/14/2012 09:24 AM, Politicus E. wrote:
> In order to specify a frame of reference, the genre
> should loosely be similar to John Allen Paulos' "Beyond Numeracy" but
> instead with a Marxist or Left political disposition governing the
> text and selection of topics.  I believe that he wishes to use such a
> book for an undergraduate course in basic quantitative literacy.

this is more for upper level, but Dirk Struik's "A concise history of
mathematics" is great ....

as for lower level study, i would look to the Soviet text books, they
did a great job of popularizing without trivializing, though i am more
familiar with their physics texts that those for math (or maths
depending on where you are residing).

i can ask around with my math colleagues.

Les