[Marxism] The Nation Magazine and Reconstruction

Richard Kreitner richard.kreitner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:48:07 MST 2012

Dear Mr. Proyect,

That was a fascinating read, and I thank you for sending it to me. It is
certainly an understated truth about the *Nation*'s beginnings that Godkin
wasn't exactly the radical abolitionist he is made out to be. (It seems to
be something of a house rule that whenever someone says "*The Nation*",
everyone else shouts, "FOUNDED BY ABOLITIONISTS IN 1865!") And yet, I don't
think the whitewashing is total: it was in Victor Navasky's book, *A Matter
of Opinion*, that I found the great Wendell Phillips quote I use in my
piece.

In any case, I'm very glad you did that research and sent it to me.

-- Ricky Kreitner

--

Richard Kreitner
Intern, *The Nation