[Marxism] Mathematics for the masses

KEN HIEBERT knhiebert at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 14 19:38:55 MST 2012

Check out Mathematics for the Millions by Lanceleot Hogben, originally published in the 30s, but still in print as far as I know.
                             ken h

A friend of mine, who sometimes moonlights as an adjunct at a US
university, is looking for a book in the spirit of a popularizing
mathematics.  In order to specify a frame of reference, the genre
should loosely be similar to John Allen Paulos' "Beyond Numeracy" but
instead with a Marxist or Left political disposition governing the
text and selection of topics.  I believe that he wishes to use such a
book for an undergraduate course in basic quantitative literacy.
Perhaps subscribers to the list might have ideas.  Much obliged in
advance for recommendations.

Comradely,
epoliticus