[Marxism] Book inquiry : Mathematics for the masses

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Dec 16 06:02:29 MST 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:08:15 -0800 Charlie <charles1848 at sbcglobal.net>
writes:

> Irving Adler, sometimes with his wife Ruth, wrote a series of
> popular texts.

Concerning the late Irving Adler, he was a victim of McCarthyism in the
1950s.
It was because of his being kicked out of teaching that he turned to the
writing of popular texts on math and science.  I read many of those books
when I was a kid.

http://old.nabble.com/-Marxism--Teacher-victims-of-witch-hunt-seek-vindic
ation-td24053928.html
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-09-30/local/35496121_1_isaac-adle
r-teachers-union-books
http://dreamersandfighters.com/adler/inter_adler.aspx

A couple of his books that stand out for me include his, "The Elementary
Mathematics of the Atom," which included discussions of quantum mechanics
as applied to the atom.  And his book, "Thinking machines, a layman's
introduction to logic, Boolean algebra, and computers."  Although
computer technology has made quantum leaps since the time that Adler
wrote that book, the basic underlying principles of computers, discussed
in that book, have not changed much at all.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math